He has very light feathers and some are pure white, I have been told this will hopefully sort itself out in time with the right nutrition (dog food and popcorn is his thing) but due to his feather issue when he flaps about his wings break so he isn't very good at long distance flying, he kinda falls with style. He has settled into the house and now bosses everyone about, including the dogs.
The next plan is to build a large aviary outside for him so that he can go out and play in the garden.
Things I have learnt from Steve
- Crows are bossy
- Crows get jealous
- Don't walk around barefoot they peck hard
- Wear a hat... and gloves... and 2 hoodies or a suit of armour, again they peck hard
- Dog food is absolutely disgusting smelly stuff and takes forever to clean up
- Crows eat and poop all day, constantly, every day
- Nothing is safe when a crow is about.... nothing
- They like to wash things, list includes caterpillars, jewellery items and pancakes
- Giving a crow a bath is interesting... he has a large cat litter tray full of water and does a weird dance in the tray
- Crows shake dry like dogs after a bath.... stand well back
- Crows eat everything
- They will follow you everywhere demanding food stuffs if you are eating
They are very intelligent birds, Steve kept stealing the dry food out of the dog dish but he couldn't eat them because they are too hard, then after a few minutes he realised that if he dipped it in the water dish it would get soggy and then he could.
I would like to add that if you come across a wild bird that you feel is in danger please don't just take it home, assess the situation fully. It could be a fledgling bird that is taking its first steps out of the nest and its parents are keeping an eye on him. If there is danger near by move the little guy to safety at most or watch from a distance and ward off cats etc. But if it is hurt or stands no chance seek advice from experts and if you do take them home do some research. Crows sound like cool pets but they are a huge responsibility and Steve is out of his enclosure more than he is in it, so he makes a lot of mess, breaks things and smells pretty funky at times.
Here are a couple of rubbish iPhone pics of Steve.